Text

Fashionista ~ Career Woman ~ Op Shopper ~ Online Shopping Addict ~ Bargain Hunter ~ Child Rearer ~ Book Reader ~ Social Commentator

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Makeup Review: Maybelline Gel Eyeliner

This whole blogging thing is very educational. In addition to sorting out the myriad of thoughts in my own head, I am learning that you can tap into the experiences and recommendations of others via Google Friend Connect.

In my 30 before 30 list, I stated that I want to do a makeup course. This is sorely needed, because on a day to day basis I wear hardly any makeup and when I do wear it, I don't think I get the best out of it. I have improved over the years, and my makeup collection has steadily expanded, but I still feel completely useless at making my face look beautiful.

I have never even used a primer. There, I said it - I have committed a beauty sin. So I am deciding whether to buy:

Benefits Porefessional
or

Clinique instant perfection pore minimizer

They both have pretty good reviews, and cost around the same amount for a little tube. My plan of attack is to check to see whether I can steal a Clinique tube from my Mother, who is the lover of all things Clinique. If not, I'll rethink.

I also really wanted to try Maybelline's new gel eyeliner. Reviews say that it is easy to apply, even for beginners. I have improved at eyeliner over the years, but I am a lot better at doing a smudgy smokey eye than a clean crisp corporate eye. And now that I work in an office, the latter has become a necessity.


Here is a photo of the application on my eye (bottom only):


Verdict: The above was done in a massive rush (it took about a minute to do both eyes, maybe less) and it still looks okay. As a result, I'd have to say I'm quite happy with the brush that comes with this gel and its ease of application. NB: You definitely need to wash or at least wipe off the brush between uses. I found it a lot worse on the second application the next day because it had dried product on it. I haven't worked out what the best way to remove the product between uses is. If you are a beginner, buying an even finer brush that is better quality would be helpful, but I found the one it comes with to be fine as a starting point.

For a waterproof eyeliner, I think it has very good staying power. By the end of the day, the line had hardly dissipated. I didn't remove it properly before bed and I didn't wake up with panda eyes, the line was still intact (albeit faded).  I therefore found it to be smudge proof and waterproof, however if you want to use this on your water line (as a kohl pencil) then you are wasting your time - it comes right off there. Make sure your skin is clean and dry before application. If you have oily skin, you will probably still need to use a primer.

The colour is vivid, I did not need to layer it on more than once. It glided on easily, has great staying power, is very affordable (and excellent quality for the price) and is so much easier to apply than liquid eyeliner (but gives a similar well-defined line).

I would go as far as saying that it is now my favourite eyeliner and supplants the previous entry in that category on my must-have list of makeup basics!

Hooray for peer reviews and affordable, well made makeup products!

UPDATE (5 Feb 2012):
I am very impressed with the staying power of this eyeliner. It needs some time to dry but once it has, it stays. Last night I got home at about 4am and used a makeup wipe to remove my eyeshadow (mild makeup wipes have a very limited effect on this eyeliner). I then went to sleep and this is my eyes on waking up:

Very impressive - no panda eyes. In fact, I went out without even needing to re-apply or tidy it up.

13 comments:

  1. My vote definitely goes to porefessional. I have used various primers (haven't tried the clinique one though) and porefessional finally made it so I could wear any liquid foundation without it pooling into my pores.

    I also am saving up to get make up lessons here - http://www.gorgeouscosmetics.com/blog/?page_id=2 for a 3 hour lesson. The money spent can then be used to purchase products so it ends up being free I guess. They also encouraged me to bring in what makeup I have so I can learn to use what I have as well as try new products.

    But I learnt most of what I know now from visiting the bloom counter at Myer Bourke st. I wanted to learn how to do a basic simple face so I wandered around the make up counters til I found someone that I liked their makeup. I then asked her for help and she was happy to show me a look using their products. I went back a few time to learn a few different looks.

    Then there is also youtube tutorials! Learnt lots more from them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This site is my inspiration , rattling wonderful style and design and perfect content material . 먹튀사이트

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back. is vivo chinese company

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be fine to reference some of this particular on my weblog only add a back link to this particular page? read this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am continually searching online for articles that can facilitate me. Thanks! slot resmi

    ReplyDelete
  6. A business broker is a person or firm who/which acts as an intermediary between sellers and buyers of small businesses. The process of buying or selling a business requires dedication and the attention of a professional with the knowledge of the complete flow of a business transaction, as well as a team in place to accomplish every aspect of the transfer bookkeeping and accounting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting a business cash advance is simple and easy for most small businesses, and even those who have poor credit scores. While this does not apply to bank loans, these are the requirements of private lenders, and private lenders are amongst the leading funders at this time. Most business owners who are looking for funding and are unaware of the current requirements and developments of the financial sector, visit their local bank Accounting

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have a less than perfect credit score and you are looking to make some necessary improvements to your home then a bad credit home improvement loan may be exactly what you need. A bad credit home improvement loan is a loan given to those with questionable credit that desperately need to make improvements to their home. General uses of a home improvement loan include paving a driveway, shingling a roof, buying a furnace, expanding for a new child or anything of that sort. glass replacement

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is some exciting news for foreign investors due to recent geo-political developments and the emergence of several financial factors. This coalescence of events, has at its core, the major drop in the price of US real estate, combined with the exodus of capital from Russia and China. Among foreign investors this has suddenly and significantly produced a demand for real estate in California. property for sale in colchester

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most real estate investors fail within the first few months of trying to make a business enterprise out of real estate investing. The trick begins with a respectable marketing plan and then applying a serious effort to the marketing plan on a even basis. There is a lot more involved to succeed, and you will encounter more tips, tricks and unique real estate marketing schemes in this article. commercial property for rent

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article is just the basics for getting started in real estate investing. This is not a how to article but an article that gives you some information about things to do to get started. Everything in this article is tools that can be applied to helping anyone get started in real estate investing. property search

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although global travel insurance does, by its nature, cover the majority of the world, the current climate ensures that there are some places where the likelihood of incident means that UK travel insurance providers are unable to offer protection. Thankfully, the list is clear of the majority of popular holiday destinations, and you're unlikely to have your big holiday plans affected. private tour guide morocco

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would be nice to spend a night on the town while on a Business Trip. Fact is that Business Travel is stressful and full of last minute dead-lines for most travelers. morocco luxury tour

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...