Text

Fashionista ~ Career Woman ~ Op Shopper ~ Online Shopping Addict ~ Bargain Hunter ~ Child Rearer ~ Book Reader ~ Social Commentator

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beyond Canberra: Amazing Goulburn Op Shops

A girlfriend and I decided to drive to Goulburn for a day of giant concrete ewe spotting:

Note the gathering of locals on bikes!
Cruising the quaint streets with lovely old buildings:

And of course, OP SHOPPING! 

Firstly, because I am a super helpful person (and super modest ;) here is a list of the Goulburn op shops that I visited, and some reviews:

Australian Red Cross Clothing Shop
146 Auburn Street. Goulburn
Don’t bother with this place. They try to be “upmarket” and have prices to match, but not the goods. I saw several ‘Expression’ (Kmart brand) products with prices ranging from $15-$20. They were probably cheaper new! I didn’t see anything worthwhile, nothing retro/vintage, and the prices are sorely inflated. For example, $13 for a used straw beach hat (no brand name). In a town with so much competition, I’m not sure how this place survives. The only shop where neither of us bought a thing!

Big Heart (Mission Australia) Op Shop
Shop 2, 148-158 Sloane Street. Goulburn
This was my favourite oppy – so cheap and such amazing retro crockery. They charge by the kilo for clothing ($5 per kilo)- my friend found an amazing vintage skirt and it cost her... wait for it.... 70 cents! Crockery was priced between 50c and $5, and books are 5 for $2.

Salvation Army — Red Shield Family Store
123 Auburn Street, Goulburn
This place is reasonably priced with sale racks up the front (vintage blouses for $1 when I was there). They have a large range of crockery and bric a brac, which unfortunately is mostly unpriced. You are at the mercy of the staff member who makes up a price on the spot, which I find a bit frustrating. Definitely worth a look see and on the whole the prices are good.

Smith Family Store
Ellesmere Street, Goulburn
This place had the best retro/vintage stock of everywhere we visited. I picked up my stunning 80s dress for a vintage ball there for $12, marked down from $25. They have a really large range of clothing, with less bric a brac. Clothing prices range from $2 - $10, with vintage items up to $25.

St Vincent De Paul — Vinnie’s Centre
Central Arcade (opp. Post Office), Auburn St, Goulburn
Friendly staff and standard prices, mostly ranging from $3-$10 for clothing. They didn’t have much crockery or bric a brac in stock on my visit, it was mostly clothes. 

Trish’s Trash & Treasure
1 Fenwick Cres, Goulburn (entry from Bradley St)
From the outside, we expected this place to house mostly furniture but inside we were surprised and amazed at the treasures it holds. Plenty of crockery, a lot of it dusty and dirty and you need to sort through it all to find the gems... but find the gems we did! The prices are very reasonable – my tea set (tea/coffee pot, 4 mugs, sugar) was $5. The prices varied though- I was surprised to see that a vintage Willow tray in very poor condition was $20. My friend picked up some hand painted pie dishes for $2 apiece.

And now (drumroll please....) for the day's finds:

Handpainted baking dishes, $2 each. Lemon water jug, $1. Tea set + potholder, $5.
Coffee set (pots, mugs & sugar holder) $5, Tasmanian pottery teabag holder $2.

Mushroom jar $2, strange pottery piece 50c.

Pyrex 50c! Arcopal France bowl, 50c.

Vintage bag $3, Johnson Australia Pottery bowl 50c.

 Hens party / wedding gag g-strings, 50c each.

Yellow stripe water jug $1, Op shopping bag {>>

Lambada leather tote, $10

 Unusual felt & knitted framed picture, $3

 Vintage orange skirt, 70c!


The most spectacular find of the day is yet to be posted, it's an amazing 80's dress that I'll be wearing to a vintage ball very soon... I will post photos after the event!


Linking up to Sophie's Flea-market Finds and Apron Thrift Girl.

30 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of the mushroom jar! (mushroom lover)

    I like the tote bag and that vintage bag is cute too. Overall you did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect day! I ADORE the orange skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see I'm going to have to get up to Goulburn some day soon! You found some great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been intending to head to Goulburn for op-shopping and I'm so glad to have found your review, thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you find in your travels (I'm a dedicated op-shopper myself).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks,

    I went to Goulburn to look for Australian pottery following your directions.
    I had a very successful trip. I bought 6 pieces of very rare Aust pottery.

    Thanks,
    Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa, thank you for this lovely blog about our beautiful town of Goulborn. It is indeed a surprise destination for many. Also, the girls of Goulborn Skin Clinic have already taken notes of your great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. مع دليل تجهيزات محلات اعلن عن منتجات شركتك باقوى الخصومات عند حصولك على مساحة اعلانية

    ReplyDelete
  8. من الان يمكنك الاعتماد علي اكبر شركة غسيل خزانات بمكة المكرمة والمملكة العربية السعودية التي تتميز انها اكبر شركة تعمل علي عزل خزانات بمكة المكرمة

    ReplyDelete
  9. تمتع الان في خدمة عملاء ال جي الكبري والمميزة في خدمات صيانة الاجهزة الكهربائية من خلال مراكز صيانة ال جي الكبري .
    http://www.maintenanceg.com/Lg-Agent-Service-Egypt-Center.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. من اهم المميزات التي تعمل عليها شركات القرميد انها تعمل علي استخدام افضل المواد في تركيب قرميد اسباني
    المميزة .
    http://www.brick-sa.com/


    ReplyDelete
  11. تعلن شركات ابادة الحشرات التي تعمل علي مكافحة الحشرات انها تعمل علي مكافحة الحشرات جديا فهي اطلقت حملات خاصة الي مكافحة حشرات بمصرالكبري .
    http://www.anti-insects.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow i just finished lookinh at yr page ive only been living here for about 5mnths and i like op shops .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woah! This is so amazing and impressive. Hope to visit this place soon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...